Catawba Units 1 and 2 are located in York, South Carolina approximately 18 miles south of Charlotte, North Carolina. The Westinghouse PWRs are operated by Duke Power. Duke Energy Corp. owns 38.5% of Unit 1. North Carolina Electric Membership Corp. owns the remaining 61.5% of Unit 1. Unit 2 is owned by North Carolina Munipical Power Agency No. 1 (75%) and Piedmont Municipal Power Agency (25%). Unit 1 and Unit 2 are both licensed to operate until December 5, 2043.
The ISFSI for Catawba began accepting SNF in 2008 for Unit 1 and in 2009 for Unit 2 pursuant to a general license. As of the end of 2008, 192 assemblies were stored in 8 dry casks. The casks are manufactured by NAC International – the NAC-UMS cask system and the UMS-24 canister type. As of the end of 2010, there was 3,900 metric tons of SNF stored at the 4 nuclear power plant sites located in the State of South Carolina — Catawba, Oconee, Robinson and Summer.