Shearon Harris Nuclear Power Plant Unit 1 is located in New Hill, North Carolina approximately 20 mile southeast of Raleigh, North Carolina. The Westinghouse PWR is operated by Progress Energy. The plant is owned (83.8%) by Progress Energy Carolina, a wholly owned subsidiary of Progress Energy, Inc. The other owner (16.2%) is North Carolina Eastern Municipal Power Agency. The plant is licensed to operate until October 24, 2046. Progress Energy has not yet announced its plans for an ISFSI. As of the end of 2010, there were 3,450 metric tons of SNF stored at the three nuclear power plant sites located in the State of North Carolina — Brunswick, McGuire and Shearon Harris.
Additional information regarding Shearon Harris can be found at the following websites: