The Virgil C. Summer Nuclear Station Unit 1 is located in Jenkensville, South Carolina approximately 26 miles northwest of Columbia, South Carolina. The Westinghouse PWR is operated and owned (66.7%) by South Carolina Electric & Gas Co., a wholly owned subsidiary of SCANA Corp. The other owner (33.3%) is South Carolina Public Service Authority (a/k/a Santee Cooper). The plant is licensed to operate until August 6, 2042. South Carolina Electric and Gas has not yet announced its plans with regard to an ISFSI. As of the end of 2010, there were 3,900 metric tons of SNF stored at the four nuclear power plant sites located in the State of South Carolina — Catawba, Oconee, Robinson and Summer.
Additional information regarding Summer can be found at the following websites: